Original Article

Clinical Features in Traumatic Hyphema: A Retrospective Study of 590 Cases - Original Article

  • Kastriot Boriçi
  • Isik Çorum Yildirim
  • Cahit Özgün

Received Date: 07.06.2007 Accepted Date: 19.10.2007 Turk J Ophthalmol 2008;38(3):250-255

Purpose: To evaluate the course of the disease, the frequency of other associated eye injuries and their effects on visual prognosis in patients with hyphema caused by blunt globe trauma without perforation. Materials and Methods: The records of 590 patients referred to Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophtalmology between 1993-2005, who had been diagnosed as hyphema due to blunt trauma, were retrospectively examined. Results: The mean age of 590 patients was 22.3 ± 12.3 years. The percentage of hyphema grading in patients was as follows: Grade 0 in 22.7% patients (n=134), Grade I in 46.1% (n=272), Grade II in 18.4% (n=109), Grade III in 7.1% (n=42), and Grade IV in 5.5% (n=33). While the final visual acuity was over 0.3 in 535 patients (90.7%), it was ² 0.3 in the remaining 55 patients (9.3%). When the initial and the final visual acuity of all the patients were compared, a significant increase in visual acuity of the patients was determined (p=0.003). The intraocular pressure was increased over 22mmHg during the follow-up of in 131 patients (22.2%). While the intraocular pressure increase was found to be 90.9% in Grade IV patients, it was only 4.5% in Grade 0 patients. Conclusion: In conclusion, young men constitute the majority of patients with traumatic hyphema. Visual prognosis is favorable in most patients with hyphema due to blunt trauma, poor visual outcome is associated with complications such as; corneal bloodstaining, traumatic cataract, choroidal rupture, retroorbital hematoma, and orbital fracture.

Keywords: Traumatic hyphema, traumatic glaucoma, corneal bloodstaining, blunt globe trauma

Full Text (Turkish)